Within this workshop, let’s discuss some of the ‘taken-for-granted’ issues around the important skillset of small talk.
Some of the topics to be discussed:
- Small Talk – and how it facilitates trust (teacher/learner)
- The purpose of role-playing and small talking within the conversational lesson
- What personal and private information are we willing to share with others?
- Truly listening (the different types of listening)
- Overcoming shyness and developing courage
- Is it still possible to small talk during an online lesson?
And finally, let us consider whether small talk has changed -- owing to the recent pandemic and the changes in our use of body language (mask-wearing and physical distancing). In a Post-Covid world – now having to slow down more and be less optimal/efficient - will the art of small talk still permit us to communicate with others more easily?